1. Upon the request of the Government of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, the Government of Japan decided to dispatch the Japan Disaster Relief (JDR) Expert Team to Sri Lanka in response to the damage caused by the collapse of a garbage mound at the disposal site in Meethotamulla, Colombo. The team stayed and conducted activities in Sri Lanka from April 20 to 24.
2. The JDR Expert Team, has reported their findings to His Excellency Mr. Maithripala Sirisena, President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and to Hon. Mr. Ranil Wickremesinghe, Prime Minister of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka on April 24.
3. The JDR Expert Team recognizes that the Government of Sri Lanka has been taking prompt actions in timely manner after the collapse. The Team observed that the Government of Sri Lanka mobilized relevant stakeholders in disaster risk reduction and waste management jointly, and took immediate measures for stability of the garbage mound. The JDR Expert team also presented their technical views for safety management and prevention of secondary disaster, for stabilization of the site, and for future waste management plan.
4. The JDR Expert Team recognizes that the Meethotamulla dumping sites is appropriately monitored and managed by the team of the Government of Sri Lanka. In this regard, JDR Expert Team notes that some of the media reports regarding the condition of the dump site were not based on the data and findings observed by the JDR Expert Team at the site.
5. The JDR Expert Team intends to present a more detailed report and hopes that it will be usefully utilized by the Government of Sri Lanka. The team also wishes to express their gratitude for the support given by the Sri Lankan side.